Packaging and deployment
Packaging is often the most oft overlooked parts when developing a GUI application, and as such it's often overlay complicated to get right. This is not the case for XUL applications, as everything you need is already right in your application structure. No need to futz around with additional libraries or perform complicated dependency lookups.
Using Inno Setup, a setup program is created for the installation on Windows. This involves packaging up all the files under your application directory. Here are the simple steps:
- Download and install inno setup
- Open up the installer/Windows/pyxpcom_gui_app.iss file inside of the Inno Setup application
- Use the "Build->Compile" menu to package the application
- The setup file is created at build/pyxpcom_gui_app-win32.exe
The easiest of them all:
$ tar -cvf pyxpcom_gui_app.tar pyxpcom_gui_app $ gzip pyxpcom_gui_app.tarAnd your done! Ship it already... The archive for this example comes to 16MB in size, or 15MB if using bzip2.
Mac OS X
You should have an application package layout like the one shown in this Mac OS X packaging guide. Now to create the installer (in dmg format):
- hdiutil create -srcfolder pyxpcom_gui_app.app pyxpcom_gui_app.dmg
- And your done!